Ever since Pillsbury posted my Banana Cream Pie Bites to their Facebook page and one of their fans suggested a key lime pie version, I have been a woman on a mission: to make an even more perfect, low sugar, healthier version of this classic dessert recipe. Perusing the internet only found me "healthy" versions that subbed in low-fat sweetened condensed milk instead of the full-fat version or used jello and cream cheese. I knew I could do better. First of all...
I was shocked.
Have you looked at the back of a can of sweetened condensed milk lately? Oh.M.GEE. 22g of sugar, times TEN servings... for a grand total of 220g just added into the regular key lime pie filling. And what about the "healthier" low-fat version? Even MORE sugar!!!
Introducing the Absolute Best Key Lime Pie:
That happens to have over 70% less sugar per serving than its sweetened condensed cousin.
The density and texture were superb. The sour of the key limes was perfectly balanced with the sweetness of the greek yogurt and banana/squash puree. No one will know this pie is healthier for them. I promise.
Every forkful was heavenly.
Healthier Key Lime Pie
The Absolute Best (and Healthiest) Key Lime Pie // @noshandnourish
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. (I use convection)
- Combine all filling ingredients (everything except the crust and whipped cream) in a mixing bowl.
- Once thoroughly mixed, pour it into the graham pie crust.
- Bake for 40 - 45 minutes, or until all of the filling has "set" and is not liquid-y.
- Cool the pie for 15 minutes before putting in the fridge.
- Cool for a few hours before topping with the whipped cream.
- Savor each delicious bite!
Yields 8 Slices