Now that I think about it... maybe it wasn't the WISEST decision to make amazing Cauliflower Crust Pizza the night before an official weigh-in. Buuuuut, I had just purchased my nooch (nutritional yeast) and I've been excited about this crust recipe for the last 24 hours straight :) So I did it... on a weeknight. (Doesn't that pizza pic -------> look amazing?!?!)
I think what sets me apart from some of the other healthy bloggers out there is that I am doing this while maintaining a full-time job and motherhood. I am really really busy... and because of that, a lot of my posts are going to be about ideas for quick healthy meals: hopefully which translate well into your busy life too! That said, this crust sounded so amazing, I had to take the time to make it, and ASAP. Overall it took me about 40 minutes from start to finish.
First I gathered my ingredients:
Then, I put the cauliflower in the microwave for the 8 minutes, while I combined all the other ingredients. I did make one change... I adjusted it for high altitude (baking at a mile high sucks!!) by adding in 2 Tbsp of whole wheat baking flour. I also used the entire cauliflower (not just half) b/c mine was really small and it didn't look like it was going to make enough for a "whole" pizza. So next time, I might just double the entire recipe.
Here's a pic of all the crust ingredients (except for the cauliflower) and a pic of the crust spread out on a non-stick pan. I don't have a cool silicone baking mat, YET!
Oh, wondering how I made something so relatively involved on a weeknight, with Babycakes? I let her in my Tupperware drawer... it wasn't pretty, but she had a BLAST!
After the crust cooked for 15 minutes and started browning on the edges, I put on the pizza sauce and toppings. Evidently I don't know how to make pizza because Dear Hubby reminded me that usually the cheese goes on first, then the toppings. But, I hid all the toppings under a blanket of cheese. Oops. 75% of the pizza was for DH, layered with pepperoni and pineapple. My 25% was mostly orange bell peppers (I'm obviously obsessed!) and pineapple, with 3 pepperonis (serving size is normally 14 pepperonis, so just a few calories for a nice protein punch!). And we loved the sauce (Classico)... very Papa-Johns-esque.
Here it is topped with cheese after it baked and got all melty and yummy:
And the best news of all, my vegetable-hating-hubby actually LIKED it. And not just the "being nice" kind of liking (he doesn't do that), he actually liked it. Woot Woot!!
- 1/2 head of cauliflower (yield 2 cups after grated/food processed)
- 1 egg
- 2 oz finely shredded cheese of choice (use a medium-softness cheese like mozzarella, cheddar, colby jack, pepper jack, etc)
- 3 TB nutritional yeast
- 1 tsp minced garlic (from the jar or fresh)
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 1 tsp dried basil
- 1 tsp Hidden Valley Ranch dry seasoning
- 1/4 tsp ground black pepper
- 1/8 tsp ground sea salt
- toppings of choice (see directions)
- preheat oven to 450 degrees.
- grate raw cauliflower using a food processor or by hand with a grater. i am lazy and so i used my food processor–i pulsed until it reached a finely grated consistency.
- microwave cauliflower for eight minutes and then let cool.
- while cauliflower is cooling, prep your toppings of choice. choose a sauce (like marinara, pesto, barbecue, or alfredo), a cheese or two (feta, mozzarella, asiago, goat cheese) and your favorite toppings (sausage, chicken, pepperoni, bell peppers, mushrooms, olives, artichokes, onions.. okay, i will stop now!)
- once cauliflower has cooled to almost room temperature, combine it in a bowl with the remaining ingredients (aside from the toppings, of course.)
- spray a nonstick baking sheet or line with a silicone mat. (sooooooo need to get one of these!) spread mixture evenly on the pan so it forms a 9″ x 16″ rectangle.. give or take.
- bake for 12-15 minutes until edges are slightly browned.
- layer sauce and toppings on baked crust.
- place pizza back in oven until all the cheese is melted (if using cheese) and toppings are warmed through; about five minutes.
- slice & eat immediately. enjoy!
So, now on to the weekly weigh-in. Hopefully you will be easy on me knowing what I ate last night (above) and thankful that I shared this amazing healthy recipe with you. :)
Previous Weight: 174.8 lbs (Week 2 Weigh-In)
Current Weight: 173.8 lbs
Change in Weight: -1.0 lbs
TOTAL Weight-loss since starting the blog: -5.4 lbs
Not as much as I would've liked, but here's some positives from the week:
- I started a running program: Pooch to 5K!
- I made a pizza crust using cauliflower - a vegetable that I bought yesterday for the first time in my 8 years of marriage.
- I made some new "healthy blog" friends and signed up for the Blend (Blogger + Friend) Retreat in May... soooooo excited!!
- I took some beautiful pictures of Babycakes - first time in months
- Even though I didn't lose as much as weeks prior, I still lost weight... and am heading in the right direction towards my goals.
- Mini-Milestone - today I was TIED with my husband for weight to the tenth of a pound... getting so close!!
What are your favorite pizza toppings? When was the last time YOU bought a cauliflower? Do you cook "involved" meals during the work week?