Sweet Teriyaki Chicken Rainbow Skewers
----FOR THE SAUCE----
3⁄4 cups Soy Sauce
1⁄4 cup sake (or substitute mirin)
1 tablespoon pure honey
2 tablespoons Brown Sugar
1 tablespoon sweet red chili sauce
1⁄2 tablespoon Minced Ginger
1 1⁄2 teaspoon Minced Garlic
sesame seeds (as desired, and extra for garnish)
----FOR THE SKEWERS----
4 large boneless, skinless chicken breasts (cut into bite-sized cubes)
4 bell peppers (use multiple colors: red, orange, green, yellow --- cut into bite-sized cubes)
1 large red onion (cut into bite-sized cubes)
1 1⁄2 cup pineapple (cut into sliced triangles / bite-sized cubes)
8 ounces button mushrooms (cut in half, or thirds)
fresh green onions or parsley (optional, for garnish)
2 cups cooked rice (optional, as a side dish to be served with the skewers)
- Cut chicken breasts into small bite-sized cubes and set aside.
- In a mixing bowl, combine all the sauce ingredients. Whisk well. Set aside.
- Pour about 1/2 of the marinade over your chicken in either a shallow dish (with cover) or resealable bag. Move chicken around to fully coat the pieces. Allow chicken to marinate for a minimum of 1 hour in the refrigerator.
- While chicken is marinating, cut up your peppers, onion, pineapple, mushrooms, etc. if you haven’t already. For extra flavor drizzle a little marinade over the cut produce and allow to sit a couple minutes.
- Pre-heat your grill.
- While grill is heating up, thread chicken, pepper, onion, pineapple and mushrooms on skewers in whatever order you would like, or just be random. Coat skewers with additional teriyaki sauce as desired.
- Next, place threaded skewers on grill. Grill for 8- 10 min. until chicken is cooked to desired liking, flipping half way through. Using a sauce mop or brush, coat with additional sauce during cooking, as desired.
- Remove skewers (be careful!) from grill and transfer to a plate. Sprinkle with fresh chopped parsley and/or green onions and/or any additional seasonings, salt/pepper, sesame seeds, etc. as desired.
- Enjoy with rice on the side, deconstructed on a bed of rice, or eat right off the skewer!
Yields 4 Servings