Butternut Squash Mac and Cheese // @noshandnourish
1 1⁄2 cup Butternut Squash (cubed)
2 cups Shells (or Elbow Macaroni)
1 cup Shredded Cheese (I used a combo of American & Swiss)
1 tablespoon Butter
1⁄3 cup Milk
Note: I bought the pre-cubed butternut squash that comes in a 12oz bag --- so worth it!!
- Boil the cubed butternut squash in about an inch of water over the stovetop for approximately 6 minutes, or until soft. Then, drain out the water and transfer back to the saucepan.
- In a separate saucepan, cook the pasta.
- Smash the cooked butternut squash with a masher or an immersion blender.
- Add in the cheese and milk to the smashed butternut squash, and stir over low heat.
- Once pasta is done, drain out the water and add back to the saucepan. Melt in the butter to coat the pasta.
- Then add in the pasta to the butternut squash/cheese mixture.
- Stir and then serve!
- Add salt and pepper to taste -- this made a big difference for us actually!
Yields 4 Servings