I love May. School is almost over. The weather is actually trying to get warm. It's finally nice enough to start grilling (and eating) outside, and we can soak up some much needed sunshine. Did I mention that we got a foot and a half of snow on Mother's Day?!?! And I am all about picnics and the backyard barbeque spread: burgers, potato salad, watermelon, corn on the cob, baked beans, and chips!! But those things aren't always the healthiest, especially the potato salad. Well, that's about to change!
Introducing The Best Vegan Potato Salad:
It is not full of mayonnaise. It is not full of eggs. It is not full of butter.
It is, however:
- tangy and sweet
- filled with your favorites: sweet relish, mustard, and chives
A beautiful and hearty side dish, this picnic potato salad will please everyone!
And there's no weird vegan "fake" mayonnaise in there either. Its creaminess actually comes from a walnut creme, made by combining walnuts and Silk unsweetened almondmilk.
Disclaimer: This is a sponsored conversation written by me on behalf of Silk. The opinions, text, recipe, and beautiful food photos are all mine.
Picnic Potato Salad
Picnic Potato Salad // via Nosh and Nourish #dairyfree #eggfree #vegan
- Soak the walnuts in a container with water at room temperature for 4 hours. Then, drain the water. Add the almondmilk and use an immersion stick blender (a regular blender will also work) to puree the walnuts.
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees. Remove stem and seeds from bell pepper. Slice into big strips, then lay flat on a lined cookie sheet, with the outside skin of the pepper facing down. Roast for 20 minutes or until softened and lightly browned. Let cool, then, dice and set aside.
- Chop potatoes into 3/4 inch cubes.
- In a large stockpot, boil water (2/3rds full). When boiling, add potatoes. Let cook for 20 - 25 minutes. Potatoes should be soft enough to press with a fork, but not mushy.
- Drain potatoes.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine ingredients except the potatoes.
- Once thoroughly mixed, add in the potatoes and stir.
- Cool in fridge for 1 - 2 hours before serving.
Yields 8 Servings