Spinach & Cranberry Stuffed Acorn Squash
3 small acorn squash (sliced into 12 rings & de-seeded)
4 tablespoons Earth Balance Vegan Butter (or sub regular)
1 tablespoon Minced Garlic
2 tablespoons thinly sliced leek (diced )
8 ounces Portobello mushrooms (diced)
1⁄4 cup Cooked Quinoa
1 tablespoon Curry Powder
1⁄2 teaspoon Sea Salt
1⁄4 cup Dried Cranberries
5 ounces Earthbound Farm Spinach & Butter lettuce mix (or sub all spinach)
1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
1⁄4 cup Coarsely Chopped Walnuts
2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil (to brush onto the squash rings)
2 tablespoons Dark Amber Maple Syrup (to brush onto the squash rings)
- Slice acorn squash into rings and remove seeds. On a parchment lined baking sheet, place the rings out in a single layer.
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- In a small bowl, combine olive oil and maple syrup, then set aside.
- In a large saute pan, melt the vegan butter. Then add in the garlic, leeks, mushrooms, quinoa, curry, and sea salt. Saute for approximately 5 minutes until mushrooms are soft. Put mushroom mixture into a large mixing bowl. Then, add 1 tbsp olive oil to the heated pan with the spinach. Saute for 5 minutes until the spinach is wilty, but not burned.
- Transfer the spinach to the mixing bowl with the mushroom mixture, and stir in the dried cranberries.
- Carefully spoon the mixture into each squash ring carefully. Then, top the centers with walnuts.
- Brush on the olive oil / maple syrup to the acorn squash ring / flesh.
- Bake for 40 minutes.
- Use a spatula to transfer rings to plates so the stuffing doesn't fall out.
Yields 8 Rings