The best Salmon Chowder I've ever eaten!
2 cupsRaw Cashews
1 cupWater (used for soaking, then drained)
1 cupWater (to puree with the soaked cashews)
2Carrots (thinly sliced)
1 tablespoonVegan Butter (I used earth balance, or sub regular butter)
1⁄2Sweet Onion (diced)
2 tablespoonsMinced Garlic
1Sweet Potato (peeled & cubed)
2 tablespoonsParsley (diced)
64 ouncesChicken broth
4 tablespoonsNutritional Yeast Flakes
3⁄4 poundsWild Salmon
- Ahead of time, soak your 2 cups of cashews in 1 cup of water for 3 hours.
- After 3 hours, drain the water out of the soaked cashews and discard.
- Add 1 cup of fresh water in with the soaked cashews and puree them with an immersion stick blender... then set aside.
- In a large stockpot, saute thinly sliced carrots, garlic, onion, and vegan butter for approximately 5 minutes, or until onion is softened and slightly browned.
- Add in diced sweet potato and saute for an additional 5 minutes. Potatoes should not get brown.
- Add in all remaining ingredients except for the salmon.
- Bring mixture to a boil, then reduce heat to medium to simmer for approximately 10 minutes. Potatoes should be softened.
- Add in thawed wild salmon. The boiling soup will cook it in about 8 minutes.
- Once salmon is cooked through, use a fork to flake it into small pieces.
- Serve with a nice french bread (optional).
Yields 6 Servings