Roasted Cherry Bourbon Cake
2 cupsfresh cherries from the northwest (pitted and halved)
1 cupwhole fresh cherries
1⁄2 tablespoonOlive Oil
1⁄2 tablespoonCoconut Sugar
3 cupsorganic unbleached all-purpose flour (or sub Bob's 1:1 GF Baking flour)
3 teaspoonsBaking Powder
1⁄2 teaspoonSea Salt
1 cupextra virgin olive oil
1 1⁄2 teaspoonVanilla Extract
1⁄2 cupunsweetened cashewmilk
1⁄3 cupBourbon (I like Maker's Mark)
3⁄4 cupsCoconut Sugar
3⁄4 cupsraw cane sugar
10 ouncesGhirardelli white chocolate melting wafers (for the icing)
1 tablespoonBourbon (for the icing)
2 tablespoonsunsweetened cashewmilk (for the icing)
1⁄4 teaspoonMcCormick Color from Nature, natural blue dye (for the icing, optional)
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees.
- Lay cherry slices in a single layer on a parchment lined baking sheet (make sure all pits are removed).
- Brush the olive oil on top of the cherries and then sprinkle with the 1/2 tbsp of coconut sugar.
- Bake/roast for 15 minutes, then remove from heat.
- Meanwhile, get out 3 mixing bowls..
- In the largest mixing bowl, combine the dry ingredients: flour, baking powder, and sea salt. Stir and then set aside.
- In a smaller mixing bowl, combine the olive oil, vanilla, cashewmilk, and bourbon. Stir and then set aside.
- In a third bowl, combine the eggs and sugars. Using a hand mixer, mix on medium-high for 2 - 3 minutes.
- Then, pour the egg mixture into the olive oil mixture. Stir. Then, pour the wet mixture into the dry mixture and stir until just combined. Do not overstir.
- Gently fold in the chopped roasted cherries.
- Pour the batter into a greased bundt pan, then bake for 45 minutes.
- Once the cake is finished, let it cool on the counter for 20 minutes. Then, flip it over onto a parchment lined cake plate.
- In a small saucepan over low heat, start to melt the melting chips. Then stir in the additional bourbon and cashewmilk. Stir continually until melted. Then use a spoon to drizzle it over the cake. Then, fill the center with fresh cherries.
Yields 12 Servings