cauliflower and potato soup | easy lunchbox ideas | horizon organic recipes
1 small head of cauliflower
1 1⁄2 pound small medley potatoes* (a mix of red, yukon gold, and purple)
2 tablespoons Olive Oil
1⁄2 tablespoon everything but the bagel spice (found at Trader Joe's)
1 teaspoon turmeric
2 cups Horizon Organic Milk (I like the 2%)
2 cups organic chicken stock
1 teaspoon everything but the bagel spice
1⁄2 teaspoon Sea Salt
1 cup Horizon Organic shredded white cheddar cheese
2 everything bagels (cut into cubes)
1 tablespoon Horizon Organic butter
2 tablespoons diced green onions
* the medley I buy has 4 purple potatoes, 4 yukon gold (yellow), and 4 red.
- Preheat the oven to 425 degrees.
- Line a large baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Slice the potatoes into wedges and lay them in a single layer by color (separating the purple ones).
- Break the cauliflower into small pieces with your hand, or cut with a knife. Also lay out in a single layer.
- Brush on the olive oil, then sprinkle everything-but-the-bagel spice on both the potatoes and cauliflower. Sprinkle the turmeric just on the cauliflower.
- Bake for 25 - 30 minutes until potatoes are golden brown on the edges and the cauiflower is softened.
- Meanwhile, on the stovetop in a medium pan over medium heat, saute the everything bagel cubes in butter for approximately 8 minutes, stirring frequently. Bagel pieces should get browned and crispy, but not burned. Set aside.
- Once the veggies are done roasting, remove them from the oven. Keep the purple potatoes on the baking sheet, but transfer the yellow and red ones into a high speed blender. Also add the cauliflower and milk and chicken stock.
- Using the soup functionality on your blender (or high for about 45 - 60 sec), blend until smooth.
- Pour soup into a large stockpot over medium heat.
- Stir in sea salt and the additional everything spice, plus the cheese. Stir until melted.
- Serve soup hot with chopped purple potatoes, the toasted bagel cubes, and a sprinkle of green onions (optional).
Yields 4 Servings