Hearty Butternut Walnut Loaf // via Nosh and Nourish
2 cups Walnuts (coarsely chopped)
1 1⁄2 cup vegetable broth (my favorite is: Imagine's NO-CHICKEN broth)
1 tablespoon Olive Oil
1⁄2 tablespoon Minced Garlic
2 tablespoons thinly sliced leek
1 tablespoon apricot jam
1⁄4 cup Silk cashewmilk
1⁄4 cup Cooked Quinoa
1 cup grated butternut squash (peeled and then grated)
1 cup gluten-free breadcrumbs (or sub regular if you're not trying to avoid gluten)
2 Flax Eggs*
1⁄2 tablespoon fresh thyme (diced)
1⁄2 tablespoon Fresh Sage (diced, approx 5 leaves)
1⁄2 teaspoon Sea Salt
1⁄4 teaspoon Nutmeg
*2 "Flax Eggs" = 2 Tbsp ground flax + 6 Tbsp warm water. Refrigerate for 15 minutes.
- Soak your walnuts in vegetable broth for one hour.
- Make your flax eggs, refrigerate for 15 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- Drain the broth from the walnuts and then transfer the walnuts to a large mixing bowl.
- In a small saute pan, saute the leeks and garlic for approximately 5 minutes until lightly browned. Then, add them to the mixing bowl with the walnuts.
- Add in all remaining ingredients... including the flax eggs.
- Combine and thoroughly mix everything with your hands or a large spoon.
- Use non-stick spray or coconut oili to grease a loaf pan. Press in the walnut mixture evenly.
- Bake for 40 minutes.
- Cook on broil for 3 - 5 additional minutes so that the top is lightly browned. Watch it carefully to make sure it doesn't burn!
- Serve with cranberry relish.
Yields 8 Servings