Buffalo Chicken Salad
15 ounces canned chickpeas (rinsed and drained)
----FOR THE DRESSING---- ((or sub store-bought ranch))
4 tablespoons whole milk (or buttermilk)
1⁄3 teaspoon Garlic Powder
1 pound chicken cutlets (or sub breasts and then pound until thin)
1 tablespoon avocado oil (or sub olive oil)
4 cups diced romaine lettuce
1⁄2 cup julienned carrots (or sliced into thin rounds)
1⁄4 cup thinly slice red onion
1⁄4 cup blue cheese crumbles (optional)
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
- Toss chickpeas with 1 tbsp. avocado oil, dill, garlic powder, salt, and pepper and coat thoroughly.
- Place onto a parchment lined baking sheet and bake for 25-30 minutes until chickpeas are slightly crispy. Remove from oven and let cool.
- Season both sides of the chicken with salt and pepper. If you are using breasts instead of cutlets, go ahead and pound them out until they are about 1/8” thick.
- Preheat a large skillet to medium high heat, add oil.
- Add chicken to the pan and sear on both sides for 3-4 minutes if you are using cutlets until the chicken has cooked through and browned on both sides.
- Remove the chicken and set aside.
- Turn the heat to low and add hot sauce, butter, and lemon juice to deglaze the pan and scrape up any bits that have formed on the bottom of the pan.
- Stir until butter has melted and sauce is smooth.
- Slice chicken into strips and then add back into the sauce and toss to coat. Turn off heat.
- While the chicken cooks, combine dressing ingredients in a mason jar and shake to combine well. Add more milk if desired for consistency. Chill until ready to use.
- Layer romaine lettuce, carrots, celery, red onion, and buffalo coated chicken in a bowl.
- Sprinkle with crispy chickpeas, blue cheese crumbles, and then drizzle with ranch dressing.
- Serve immediately.
Yields 6 Servings