Banh Mi Breakfast Tacos
2 poundsbrisket (for more traditional banh mi, substitute pork tenderloin)
1⁄4 cupSoy Sauce
11" piece of fresh ginger (grated)
2 tablespoonsBrown Sugar
1 teaspoonfish sauce
1 cupthinly sliced carrots
1 cupthinly sliced cucumber
1⁄4 cupWhite Vinegar (or sub rice vinegar)
1 teaspoonraw cane sugar
1 teaspoonkosher salt
Note: For kids, simply omit the jalapeños and chili sauce to make it less spicy!
- In bowl combine soy sauce, water, garlic cloves, ginger, brown sugar, and fish sauce and stir to combine.
- Put brisket or pork tenderloin and soy sauce mixture in a slow cooker and cook on high for 6 hours or low for 10 hours (would be a good option for overnight). You could also do this in an Instant Pot (cooking times and directions would vary).
- Once the meat is done, combine vinegar, granulated sugar, and salt in a bowl and then add carrots and cucumbers and toss to coat.
- Let the veggies sit in the vinegar mixture for 15 minutes before serving.
- Fry eggs over easy, 1 per taco.
- Shred meat.
- Char tortillas by placing them over an open gas flame on the stove or placing in a skillet and toasting on each side until just charred, careful not to burn them.
- To assemble tacos, layer meat, pickled veggies, jalapeño, cilantro, green onions and chili sauce and then top off with a fried egg.
- Serve immediately.
Yields 6 Servings