This festive casserole has all the flavors of Thanksgiving: fresh sage, sweet potatoes, cranberry relish, and nourishing broth --- plus protein-rich quinoa and walnuts. // via Nosh and Nourish
* This is the cranberry relish recipe that I use, or you can sub in Sprouts' canned cranberry sauce.
**You can sub in fresh sweet potatoes if you prefer. If you do, peel and chop 2 sweet potatoes into approximately one inch cubes. Roast them in the oven with the bell pepper at 425 degrees for 25 minutes. Then, follow the recipe instructions starting at line 3.
1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
2. In a large skillet over medium heat, combine the olive oil, water, frozen sweet potato chunks, and red pepper. Cover and cook for 12 minutes or until all of the water is gone and potatoes are softened. Stir periodically.
3. In a large mixing bowl, combine all other ingredients: walnuts through onion powder.
4. Grease a large casserole dish with either coconut oil or non-stick spray.
5. Transfer the potatoes and peppers to the casserole dish, lining the bottom evenly.
6. Pour the quinoa/walnut mixture over the top.
7. Cover with aluminum foil and bake for 30 minutes. After 30 min, take the casserole out of the oven and stir the contents thoroughly. Put the casserole back into the oven (uncovered) for an additional 30 minutes.
8. When it's done cooking, it should not be soup-y at all and the top should be lightly browned.
9. Serve with additional fresh sage and/or cranberry relish
Yields 9 Servings