This patriotic layered smoothie is totally perfect for the 4th of July, Memorial day, or any morning you just want to be a little fancy! It's super healthy, super refreshing on a hot day, and super delish!
You're thinking one of two things...
- OMG, that's the cutest smoothie I've evvvvvvvvvvvvvvver seen!!
- Ain't nobody have time for that.
I know. I know. It looks complicated... but it's totally not! The first layered smoothie I fell in love with was Tieghan's Tropical Fruit Breakfast Smoothie. Hello, gorgeous! So I knew I had to try one of my own. And really... it only takes a few extra minutes. And for the huge smile on your kid's face when they see those beautiful stripes, it's totally worth it! However, if you're still not convinced, you are welcome to just blend all of the ingredients together -- it still tastes delicious!
This smoothie is packed with antioxidants and vitamin K (from the berries), potassium and vitamin B6 (from the bananas), and fiber and Omega-3s (from the flax). Please note: If your child happens to not like (or finish) smoothies, you can also put the glass cup in the freezer for an hour or so and serve it more as a sorbet with a spoon. Babycakes loved this and thought she was getting a really special treat!
Other things you might want to make over the 4th of July weekend:
Red, White, & Blue Layered Smoothie!
Red, White, & Blue Layered Smoothie
- If you do not want the separate layers, just blend everything together at once in a high-powered blender.
- If you DO want layers, start by blending the red layer ingredients together. Pour into individual glasses, about 1/3 full. Set glasses in freezer for 10 minutes.
- Rinse out the blender jar to remove any remaining red layer mixture. Then, add in your white layer ingredients. Blend until smooth. Pour the white layer over the frozen red layer, filling about 2/3 full. Set glasses back in freezer for 15 minutes.
- Rinse out the blender jar to remove any remaining white layer mixture. Then, add in your blue layer ingredients. Blend until smooth. Pour the blue layer over the frozen white layer, filling to the top.
- Serve layered with a straw.
Yields 4 Servings