Whenever I think of sloppy joes, I think of Adam Sandler and start singing: Sloppy Joes, sloppppppppppy, sloppy joe yeeeeeeah. Besides being a catchy tune, it's an American favorite made popular by Manwich. Dear Hubby loves sloppy joes (though he doesn't love messes, so I make sure not to make his sandwich too overflowing/sloppy...ha!). Well for too long I've actually bought those easy cans of Manwich sauce, but no more! It's time I started listening to my own advice. If you missed my 7 Tips for Lowering your Sugar Intake, be sure to go back and read them.
Here's a look at Sloppy Joes from their perspective:
- Read labels. (And stop ignoring them!) High Fructose Corn Syrup is the second ingredient, followed by MORE corn syrup as the 4th ingredient!
- Find Lower Sugar versions. Doesn't exist, as far as I can tell, so I created my own.
- Substitute. Yes! I need to substitute something in for all that HFCS.
Here's the ingredients in a regular can of Manwich:
Tomato Puree (Water, Tomato Paste), High Fructose Corn Syrup, Distilled Vinegar, Corn Syrup, Less than 2% of: Salt, Sugar, Dehydrated Onions, Dehydrated Red and Green Bell Peppers, Chile Pepper, Tomato Fiber, Spices, Guar Gum, Xanthan Gum, Dehydrated Garlic, Carob Bean Gum, Natural Flavors.
Introducing No Sugar Sloppy Joes:
Do you ever add barbeque sauce to your sloppy joes? We do.every.time. So it's great that I just found a new lower sugar bbq sauce recently! It has less than half the sugar grams of most other brands/flavors...which makes me very happy :) Here's the 2 main players in today's recipe: Stubb's Hickory Bourbon BBQ + Muir Glen Organic Tomato Sauce.
With only 4 ingredients, this is almost as easy as opening that dreaded can of Manwich.
The extra 90 seconds are worth it!! This recipe has approximately 50% less sugar content as the traditional manwich/bbq pairing (8g per serving, rather than 16g).
I served the sandwiches alongside my wonderful sweet potato fries, of course!
- Do you ever eat Sloppy Joes? If so, do you ever use Manwich?
- Do you have any other go-to foods that you'd like to see "made over"? If so, email me and I'll add it to my list!
No Sugar Sloppy Joes
A homemade low-sugar version of the American favorite: Sloppy Joes.
- Saute the ground beef until cooked through, no pink
- Mix together all sauce ingredients
- Add sauce to cooked ground beef
- Stir continually over medium heat for about 5 minutes, or until thickened.
Yields 5 Sandwiches