Yesterday was National Running Day! (I actually didn't know until I saw the bajillion blog posts about it...heh). But I shall celebrate none-the-less even if I'm a day late. I still don't/won't call myself a "runner"... but I am getting into the habit of running, slowly but surely. It all started with the lovely Corrie Anne. If you missed her guest post, be sure to go back and read it. As I said, I was immediately drawn to her quirky personality and humor, complete love for fitness, and her sickeningly sweet relationship with her hubby. :) And she was a great encourager and reached out to me when I commented on her blog about potentially starting to run. It is something she is passionate about, so she had some great suggestions on how to get started. Photo source- FitSugar.
I searched back and found our comment exchange from March 12th!
And for some reason, I actually listened to her advice and started slowly through the Couch to 5K plan. It really does ease you into it, so each step along the way feels doable. Now I can run for 20, even 30, even 40 minutes without stopping. I consider that quite an accomplishment! And the even weirder thing (to me) is that I actually look forward to going. I still don't go every day - just because my life is so overflowing with stuff/activities/obligations... I don't feel I can make the time EVERY day. But I feel good about the 2 - 3 days a week that I am going.
Here's a pic of me gettin' my run on this past weekend!
Top 10 things I like about Running:
- I like that I can do it right out of my door - and don't have to drive anywhere to work-out.
- I like that I can bring Babycakes with me - she loves going for a ride in the jogging stroller! And it's fun to end at the park and have a "reward" for her too - no wonder she gets excited when momma says: "let's go jogging!"
- I like that I can push myself as much or as little as I want.
- I like that I can see progress in how far I can run without stopping or how fast I am doing it.
- I like that I can change things up by taking different routes (and that I can keep track of mileage & speed with RunKeeper on my phone... I LOVE technology!)
- I like that I get to wear cool purple shoes... ha! No seriously, I like that.
- I like that I am building up my endurance / heart rate / cardiovascular health.
- I like that I am teaching Babycakes what "regular" exercise looks like.
- I like that I sort of get in "a groove" and all of a sudden, a lot of distance is covered, and I'm closer to my goal/destination.
- As a mom, I like that for 30 minutes, Babycakes is contained, content, and happy... and I don't have to chase her all around the house or worry she's getting into something she shouldn't. It's like an Elmo DVD, but waaaaaaaaay better for both of us :)
Here's a new favorite quote of mine:
I love that. I am living that. I am so excited that my 31st year has been my best yet. I love who I am becoming, I love this journey that I'm on, and I love that you're here with me. Hearing about how I've inspired you to do something new, to cook a new meal, to try a new healthy food, to drink veggie juice, to get healthier and happier... makes it all the sweeter.
Here's a reader photo from a meal she recently made healthier w/Chobani. She said: "Dear Chobani- I'm inspired by No Sugar Sweet Life to cook with your yogurt! Tonight my potato salad just got healthier with Plain Chobani, tsp of yellow mustard, tsp of light agave nectar, tsp of dried celery, 1/2 tsp of dill, 1/2 tsp of parsley, dash of pepper & salt! Yum~" This makes my heart so happy :)
- Do you run? If so, what do you like about it? If not, what do you dislike?
- Have you subsitituted Greek Yogurt into any of your favorite meals? How'd it turn out?