These dairy-free muddy buddies are perfect for your holiday party. With nourishing additions like unsweetened coconut and crushed pistachios in place of some of the powdered sugar, this Christmas dessert is completely satisfying.
Seriously, how completely delish do these look?! With flavors of chocolate, peanut butter, coconut, and pistachios, how can you go wrong? Answer: you can't.
Muddy buddies are a holiday tradition worth celebrating, repeating, and passing on.
Instead of rolling the coated cereal in straight powdered sugar, I added in crusted pistachios and unsweetened coconut flakes. I literally "crushed" them in a sealed ziploc bag with the flat side of my meat tenderizer. If you have kids, they will love helping with this part!
This isn’t just a dessert full of empty calories. There’s actually nourishing ingredients that also happen to taste amazing together. The shredded (unsweetened) coconut and coconut oil both add healthy fats that satisfy you, the pistachios help stabilize blood sugar, and the higher percentage cacao is full of antioxidants.
To keep them dairy-free:
- I used coconut oil in place of traditional butter (though you could also sub in Earth Balance's vegan buttery sticks)
- I used Enjoy Life's dairy-free dark chocolate chips in place of regular ones
- I added Silk's Chocolate Cashewmilk to make the coating even creamier
This dessert is also gluten-free as chocolate Chex, the cereal base, is made from rice.
As for serving at your party, try putting a couple spoonfuls in cute, festive cupcake liners. This makes perfect little individual portions that aren't messy to carry around.
Be sure to sign up for Silk's newsletter to keep up with new product offerings, recipe ideas, get coupons, etc. And be sure to try their seasonal offerings like pumpkin spice almond nog!
This conversation is sponsored by Silk. The opinions, recipe, beautiful food photography, and text are all mine.
Dairy-Free Muddy Buddies
Dairy-Free Muddy Buddies with Coconut and Pistachios -- the perfect holiday dessert! // via Nosh and Nourish
- Crush pistachios and unsweetened coconut flakes in a large sealed ziploc bag with the flat side of a meat tenderizer (or finely chopping with a knife would work too). Transfer to a fresh bag and add in powdered sugar. Then, set aside.
- Put chocolate chex into a large mixing bowl.
- In a large measurng cup, combine chocolate chips, coconut oil, peanut butter, and cashewmilk.
- Microwave on high 30 seconds at a time, stirring in between each 30 second interval, until completely melted. (It took about 90 seconds for me).
- Pour the melted chocolate mixture over the chocolate chex in the large mixing bowl. Stir until all pieces of cereal are evenly coated.
- Spoon the chocolate covered cereal into the large ziploc bag with the powdered sugar mixture. Seal it. Then, shake it all up until everything is evenly coated with the powder.
- On a parchment lined cookie sheet, pour out the muddy buddies into a single layer and let them cool/dry for approximately 20 minutes before eating/serving.
Yields 12 Servings